Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Change of editor at local paper

Editorial Comments
Anna Liisa Covell


Several weeks ago, I emailed Michael Bates at the Hernando Today, after reading Tampa Tribune had down-sized their organization.  I asked Bates if his editor, Chris Wessel, had been laid off in their new round of personnel cuts.  It was my understanding that Michael Terry or Robert Hibbs had replaced  Wessel as the editor at the Hernando Today.

As you might imagine, I never received a reply from Bates. Even though I had a firm tip about the paper's personnel changes, I was hesitant to say anything without a second confirmation. So I waited for an updated staff list to be published on the Hernando Today web site.  

Michael Terry is now listed as the editorial editor for Hernando Today.  Several reporters survived the latest rounds of cuts.  Bates is still the reporter for Hernando County government news.  Jeff Schmucker has the city government and school board beat.  And Tony Holt is covering court reporting for the county.


Everyone has had to tighten their belts in this sluggish economy.  The newspaper business, in general, has been especially hard hit.  Good luck to everyone at the Hernando Today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment